Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chapter 8

Once home, I turn to Sabrina. "Can you please do my homework just today? I have something I need to do." I hurry out of the pool and change before Sabrina can answer me.
Spencer hurries on ahead of me. He stops as if he knows he is being followed, then goes on. My mind races. Does he know I'm here? I was going to just go talk to him but he seems to be up to something. Maybe I should just follow.
I go after him a little behind so if he stops then I can easily stop. Spencer turns around a corner a little more quickly now. Well, not a little, because I have to run to catch up with him now. I near the corner, but on the other side I get a bit caught off guard. I almost run right into Spencer! He is standing right around it, in front of a door. Wait, this door doesn't exist in this house. Is it possible that in all these years I haven't explored it properly? No, I come this way a lot.
I watch Spencer more closely now, like every move he makes. You know, he doesn't do much. All he does is reach for the doorknob and open the door. Then he walks in a closes it. I quickly follow in case the door disappears.
The other side is weird. It's almost completely black in there. It's kind of hard to see, ut my eyes somehow see better in the dark than ever before. Maybe it has something to do with my powers... no, it still doesn't make sense. There has to be some other, more logical reason for this.
Now where is Spencer?  He couldn't have gotten far. Of course there is always the possibility of magic...
I see a figure moving at the other side of the room. Is that Spencer? Maybe. I rush there to see and I come face to face with Ethan.
"What are you doing here?" Ethan asks harshly.
"Uh...I was following you?" I grin widely. I'm not sure he can see though.
"Fine, now that you're here, stay." Then he snaps his fingers and then leaves.
So...how I am I supposed to get out now? I wonder. I know, I'll just teleport out of here. What was the spell again? Oh, yeah.
"Elevatistransportatisanywherismyroom." I do the arm movement.
And as I didn't expect, I land in my room. But Old Lady and Spencer do too.
"Hi, Old.... Trainer." I almost called her Old Lady. Whatever.
"You passed the test," she says.
"Huh?" Then Old Lady disappears.
I look at Spencer, hoping he'll explain.
He sighs when he sees me looking at him. "This was a test to see how you would react if you find yourself in a situation like that, which could happen a lot."
"So I passed?" I'm still pretty confused.
"Yes, because you got out."
'So you knew I was there." 
He shrugs. "I was going somewhere else, but when I realized you were there, I did the test we had decided on for you." He looks at my face. "Don't tell your sister, okay? It won't work otherwise."
I just nod. 
Spencer teleports away.

*            *           * 


Great. Another Monday morning means another complete week of school. Maybe...nah. I was thinking of asking to skip school today and maybe start my training early as an all-day lesson, but I don't think they'll listen. Besides, I'm still trying to convince myself that I'm just some rich girl who hates water and that type of stuff, and had a crazy dream. It isn't working though.
"Sav, you up yet?" I hear Sabrina walking through the hallway to get to me.
"No!" I reply, not thinking straight. Now that I think again, I have a plan to make school a little more fun today. I just have to talk to Spencer...
The happenings of yesterday flood into my mind. The going through a door, the saying the spell, the passing. But I feel as if I'm missing one detail. 
Suddenly I remember. The room had been so dark and cold. How is it that I did not get scared? And I didn't feel cold?
My thoughts are interrupted now that Sabrina walks in. "Sav, you have to go get ready. I know you don't like school, and that you didn't do your homework yesterday, but you still have to go.
Oh, right. I didn't do my homework. I was too shocked by what happened.
"Sav? What are you thinking about?" Her voice softens.
"Nothing," I say casually. I have practice in acting. "I'll go get ready." I pretend to look at her for the first time. "You should too."
I walk away before she can defend her outfit.
After I'm ready, I try to find Spencer. He usually gets ready quickly, then goes to his room and reads, so I go there first.
I just barge in without knocking, as I'd do with anyone. Sure enough, he's sitting on his bed, reading his book. But he's in Ethan form. "Ethan?" I ask, confused.
He looks up. "Yeah, I like this way better. It feels more natural." He looks at me more closely. "Savannah, what are you doing here?"
I'm almost about to say never mind, but I came here for a reason, and I want to get it done. "I want to ask you something."
"Didn't I tell you to ask Trainer about anything and not me?"
"Well, yes, but it's too much work to go there and come back for one question." I hope he listens and answers.
"Fine, but only this once." Yes.
"I just want to know if when you are in Earth form and when you are on Earth, do you still have your powers and can you still use them?"
"Savannah, there aren't different forms, we just call it that. But really, your only true form is your Emerald form. The Earth body is kind of like a mask, to keep others from what you really are. So if you try hard enough and really concentrate, you can get your powers out and still keep the mask on. But it won't come out as strong because it is kind o getting filtered by the mask, and it requires a lot of strength."
Wow, that was a long explanation. But it gave me the answer I wanted.
"Okay, bye."
"Why did you want to know?"
"Nothing, it just stuck in my head since we came back." I leave before he can ask again. But I feel his gaze burning into me.
Funny. I said hi to Ethan and bye to Spencer, who I guess thinks he should probably go to school.
Maybe I should too, if I want to do the thing I wanted to at school. It's nothing much, just makng a room feel hot and then letting it cool down.
I head downstairs to the garage and out to next door. I ring the doorbell, and when no one answer in 15 seconds, I ring it again. Our driver opens it.
"I need to go to school. Let's go."
"Shouldn't we wait for Sabrina?"
"She already left. She likes walking through snow. She left much earlier. Let's go!"
"Uh..."
"What?"
He doesn't reply. I look at him a little closer now. "Is everything okay?" He looks shocked now that I said that.
"Nothing. Let's go." He hurries outside and to the car and opens the door for me.
Once we reach there, I get out quickly and head in. "Bye!" I say without looking back. I see Van and Nat waiting outside their first classes. "Hi! Oh, quick, random question. What do you guys think of heat?" 
They look at each other, wondering why I asked that. "Well," Van says, "I like the heat. It feels soothing. If it isn't too hot of course." 
"I'd rather prefer cold weather. Things get a bit too hot for me." Nat says. "You?"
"I like situations when it's are burning hot." Van and Nat almost look shocked, but then realize that I could be exaggerating. Too bad I'm not.
"Why did you ask?"  Nat turns her light blue eyes towards me.
"No reason, really. I just was thinking about science since Sabrina had been talking and talking about it this morning."
"Oh." Van isn't completely satisfied with my explanation, but whatever. Now I have to get to my first class. "Look." Van whispers. Eric, the most popular guy in school, is standing in front of Sabrina. I'm half mad, half curious. What's going on there.?
"Let's get closer." I murmur. Like I said, I'm curious to know what is going on.
 "Why would I tell you where I go in my free time?" Sabrina says.
"How about..."
"No, I'm not saying it for Sav either. Besides, I never know what she's up to." You, know, when Sabrina said that, she looked a bit worried.
"Hey, guys," I say to Van and Nat, "I'll catch you later, 'kay?"
I watch Eric and Sabrina more closely now. Eric is staring through her as if he knows something. Then they see me watching and Eric walks away.
Sabrina comes toward me. "What in the world was that about?" I ask.
"I think he knows."
"About what?"
"About Emerald."





 

No comments:

Post a Comment